Here are 10 facts about Vitamin C and reasons why Vitamin C should be in Your Skincare Routine!
10 Facts About Vitamin C in Skincare
1. Your skin will appear brighter and more smooth after using Vitamin C. This is because Vitamin C speeds up your skin’s exfoliation rate making your skin more even
2. Vitamin C stimulates your skin’s production of collagen and elastin which helps to plump up your skin and reduce wrinkles
3. Since Vitamin C protects your skin from the environment and UV damage it is best used in the morning. UV light has been found to lower the skin’s Vitamin C levels.
4. L-Ascorbic acid is the form of Vitamin C which penetrates the best
5. A potency of between 3-20% is most effective
6. Vitamin C works better with Vitamin E which is why you often see Vitamin C and E in skincare serums. A good serum also has ferulic acid
7. Vitamin C reduces dark spots and age spots on the skin but speeding up your skin’s natural exfoliation rate.
8. Wounds heal faster after using Vitamin C on the skin
9. Vitamin C serums are more effective than creams or toners
10. Vitamin C protects your skin from pollution in the air such as car exhaust, cigarette smoke
What to Look for in a Product
When looking for a vitamin C serum make sure that the form used is L-ascorbic acid. Ideally the concentration should be between 10-20% depending on how sensitive your skin is. I use 10% since 20% was too drying for my skin. An ideal ingredient combination is -ascorbic acid, Vitamin E and ferulic acid. Since Vitamin C oxidises when exposed to the atmosphere the best products come in airtight packages or dark bottles.
My Favourite Vitamin C Product
At the moment my favourite product is the Beauty Pie SUPERACTIVE CAPSULES PURE DOUBLE VITAMIN C & VITAMIN E SERUM. This product is 10% Vitamin C and contains Vitamin E inside airtight capsules.
Let me know your favourite Vitamin C Product or how you have incorporated Vitamin C into Your Skincare Routine by commenting below!
See my other reviews of Beauty Pie products here
Vitamin C in Skin Care FAQs
How does vitamin C help your skin?
Vitamin C is an antioxidant and helps your skin’s natural regeneration process. It helps your body repair damaged skin cells and makes your skin appear brighter.
Is it good to put vitamin C on your face?
Check the percentage of vitamin C in the moisturiser. Most people can use topical vitamin C on their face without experiencing any adverse reactions. I found 22% too drying for me but was fine with 10%. You need to see what works for your skin type.
Which form of vitamin C is best for skin?
Pure ascorbic acid is the most effective at penetrating the skin barrier and increasing vitamin C levels within the skin.
Is vitamin C or E better for skin?
Both are antioxidants and work effectively when combined together.