Is Olaplex Curly Girl approved? Unfortunately only two products in the Olaplex line are Curly Girl Approved: the Olaplex No. 0 Intensive Bond Building Hair Treatment and the Olaplex No. 3 Hair Perfector. The other products contain ingredients such as silicone which the Curly Girl Method avoids.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you. You can read my full disclosure here.
The Curly Girl Method is a method for looking after curly and wavy hair that came from the book Curly Girl: The Handbook by Lorraine Massey. According to the Curly Girl Method you should not use products that contain the following ingredients:
- Silicones that are not water-soluble (PEG/PG/PPG)
- Alcohols or witch hazel (unless it’s marked as alcohol-free)
- Soap ingredients including potassium hydroxide and lye
- Waxes that are not water-soluble (PEG/PG/PPG)
The reason these ingredients are avoided is because they can either dry the hair out or build up on the hair making it look dull.
Related: What is the Curly Girl Method?
Is Olaplex Curly Girl approved?
Only two Olaplex products are Curly Girl approved: the OLAPLEX No.0 Intensive Bond Building Treatment and the OLAPLEX No 3 Hair Perfector. The two products are actually designed to be used together as a two-part system 1-3 times a week for damaged or dry hair.
Which Products are Curly Girl Approved?
Last update on 2021-10-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- Revitalizes shine and complexion
- Conditioning Treatment. Paraben-Free, sulfate-free, phthalate-free, cruelty-free, vegan
- The product may come with or without QR code ( Packaging may vary )
- Note : Item has a PAO : 12 months
- Revitalizes shine and complexion;Conditioning Treatment;Olaplex is free of : silicones, sulfates,...
Last update on 2021-10-07 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Olaplex No. 0 and Olaplex No. 3 can be used as a home treatment to repair broken bonds in the hair caused by heat damage and chemical damage. Olaplex No.0 and No. 3 are for everyone and work on all hair types and textures.
To use the duo simply apply the No. 0 to clean dry hair and comb the product through. Then wait 10 minutes before applying the Olaplex No.3 Hair Perfector directly on top of No. 0. Comb the hair through again and wait another 10 minutes. The longer you leave the products the more noticeable the results will be! Rinse the products and then shampoo and condition.
The two products are Curly Girl approved and work to reduce frizzy hair and dryness.
Which Products are Not Curly Girl Approved?
I’ve always been a big fan of the Olaplex treatment products so I was disappointed to find that most Olaplex products are not Curly Girl approved.
The company are known for their trademarked ingredient bis-aminopropyl diglycol dimaleate which repairs broken hair bonds. Unfortunately however many of their products also contain high amounts of silicone which is not approved in the cg method.
The following Olaplex products are NOT Curly Girl Approved.
- Olaplex No. 4 Bond Maintenance Shampoo
- Olaplex No. 5 Bond Maintenance Conditioner
- Olaplex No. 6 Bond Smoother Reparative Styling Crème
- Olaplex No. 7 Bonding Oil
- Olaplex No. 8 Bond Intense Moisture Mask
Other Useful Articles
- Is Aussie Curly Girl Approved?
- Is OGX Curly Girl Approved?
- Is Garnier Fructis Curly Girl Approved?
- Is Cantu Curly Girl Approved?
- Is Maui Moisture Curly Girl Approved?
- Is Aveda Curly Girl Approved?
- Is Ouidad Curly Girl Approved?
- Is Joico Curly Girl Approved?
- Is Zotos Curly Girl Approved?
- Is L’Oreal Curly Girl Approved?
- Is Shea Moisture Curly Girl Approved?
- Are John Frieda products curly girl approved?
- Are Aunt Jackie’s Products Curly Girl Approved?
- Is HASK Curly Girl Approved?
- Curly Girl Approved Products for All Curl Types
- Can You Use the Curly Girl Method for Wavy Hair? (2a & 2b hair)
- How to Follow the Curly Girl Method
Is Olaplex 4 and 5 Curly Girl approved?
Unfortunately Olaplex 4 and 5 both contain silicone so they are not Curly Girl approved.