Hair Essence is a water-based hair mist that contains active ingredients to help hydrate and protect the hair. This post is all about hair essence, whether you should be using it, and my top recommendations for dry hair.
What is Hair Essence?
Hair essence is a hair care product that comes in the form of a mist or spray. It is designed to be applied to the hair after washing, either when the hair is dry or damp.
Hair essences are usually water based, and contain ingredients like essential oils, plant extracts and vitamins to provide nourishment and hydration.
You can get different types of hair essence to address different concerns such as frizz, dryness and damage. The right hair essence for you will depend on your hair type.
What is Hair Essence Good For?
Hair essences are designed to improve the health of your hair, rather than to be used as a styling aid. They are good for smoothing the hair, reducing frizz, adding hydration, and increasing shine. You can also use them to soften or strengthen the hair strands.
I would not recommend hair essences if you are looking for a treatment for hair loss. I have tried many different hair serums and oils in the past to boost growth, and these all need to be applied directly to the scalp. Hair essence on the other hand is sprayed onto the hair, and not near the scalp.
If you are looking for a hair treatment for hair growth I recommend trying the Grow Gorgeous Hair Growth Serum, castor oil, rosemary oil, or fenugreek oil. Although I personally didn’t see a huge difference in growth, I know they work for some people, and they also help to promote a healthy scalp.
When to Use Hair Essence
If you have frizzy, damaged, or dry hair then hair essences can help. They can also protect the hair from UV rays, and enhance glossiness and shine.
My own hair is thin and curly, which means I need to avoid any heavy products that could weigh the hair down. I’ve found in the past that heavy oils and creams tend to elongate my curls and leave them looking flat. This was not the case with hair essences, which tend to be lighter and absorb quicker.
Overall, I would recommend hair essences if you have:
- Frizzy hair – hair essence can add hydration to the hair and reduce frizz
- Curly hair – the right hair essence can help curl clusters to form, and increase bounce
- Damaged hair – look for an essence with strengthening ingredients like B vitamins
- Dull hair – hair essences absorb quickly, leaving the hair with a dewy shine
- Fine hair – essences or mists tend to be lighter than oils and won’t weigh down fine hair
Hair Essence Vs Hair Oil
Both hair essence and hair oil can help to promote healthy hair, but hair oils tend to be heavier than essences. Since I have a fine hair texture, when I use hair oil I try to use lightweight oils such as the Olaplex Bonding Oil, jojoba oil, camellia japonica seed oil (tsubaki), or argan oil. (I have a list of great light weight oils for people with low porosity or fine hair!)
Compared to these lightweight oils however, I have found hair essences to be even lighter. They didn’t leave my hair greasy or weighed down at all. In fact, I found essences to be lighter than most of the lightweight serums I’ve tested as well.
I recommend using a hair oil if you are looking for a more intense treatment, as I think that oils do a better job at providing immediate hydration. If you are looking for a product for regular daily hydration however, I think essences are excellent for people with fine hair. They are especially good if you have curly or wavy hair, as they help to enhance your natural curl pattern.
How to Apply Hair Essence
Spray the hair essence directly onto dry or damp hair until all the hair has been lightly coated. If your hair is damp, leave it to dry naturally if possible.
Please note: Depending on the ingredients, some essences need to be shaken before you spray them to ensure any oils are evenly distributed.
My favourite hair essence is the Dew Hair Essence Spray which comes in two different scents: rose and orange blossom. The sprays contain only natural ingredients to promote healthier, stronger hair strands. Some of the key ingredients include Alora vera and vitamin E which add hydration, and guard against environmental stressors.
This hair essence is really reasonably priced, and a little goes a long way so one bottle will last you a long time. It also has a lovely refreshing smell, which isn’t overpowering. I found that it made my hair extremely shiny and soft, and helped to smooth out any frizz.
Other Recommended Posts
If you found this post helpful, you may also enjoy the following posts:
- How to Stop Hair Going Frizzy After Washing
- Best OGX Shampoos
- How to Style Thin, Curly Hair
- Olive Oil Spray for Hair
- Coconut Oil Spray for Hair
Tips for Getting Shinier Hair
I use hair essence mainly to make my hair look shinier and less frizzy. Here are some other steps you can take to get shinier hair!
- Follow a Proper Hair Care Routine: Follow a consistent hair care routine that includes gentle shampooing, conditioning, and occasional deep conditioning treatments. Avoid using harsh shampoos that strip away natural oils from your hair.
- Use Cold Water for Rinsing: When washing your hair, rinse with cold water instead of hot water. Cold water helps seal the hair cuticles, making your hair appear smoother and shinier.
- Condition Regularly: Conditioning is essential for maintaining shiny hair. Use a good quality conditioner suited for your hair type and apply it from mid-length to the ends. Leave it on for a few minutes before rinsing thoroughly.
- Avoid Overwashing: Washing your hair too frequently can strip away its natural oils, leading to dryness and dullness. Aim to wash your hair every 2-3 days, depending on your hair type and lifestyle.
- Protect from Heat: Minimise the use of heat styling tools like straighteners, curling irons, and blow dryers as excessive heat can damage your hair and make it look dull. If you must use heat styling tools, apply a heat protectant spray or serum beforehand.
- Limit Chemical Treatments: Frequent chemical treatments like perming, relaxing, or colouring can weaken your hair and cause damage. Limit the use of these treatments, and if you do opt for them, make sure to follow up with deep conditioning and moisturising treatments.
- Massage Your Scalp: Regularly massaging your scalp can improve blood circulation to the hair follicles, promoting healthier hair growth and enhancing shine. Use your fingertips to gently massage your scalp in circular motions for a few minutes each day.
- Protect from Sun Damage: Sun exposure can cause hair to become dry and dull. Shield your hair from harmful UV rays by wearing a hat or using hair products that contain UV filters when you’re outside for extended periods.
- Eat a Balanced Diet: Proper nutrition is vital for healthy hair. Include foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins A, C, and E, and biotin in your diet. These nutrients can contribute to hair health and shine.
- Stay Hydrated: Drink an adequate amount of water daily to keep your body and hair hydrated. Additionally, use moisturising hair masks or natural oils like Argan oil, coconut oil, or jojoba oil to nourish and add shine to your hair.
Remember, achieving shinier hair takes time and consistency. Implement these tips into your routine, and over time, you should notice a positive difference in the shine and overall health of your hair.
This Post Was About Hair Essence
Thank you for reading my article. If you have tried hair essence, please leave me a comment below and let me know your thoughts. I think hair essence is a bit like face essence, in that they are both water based products that are designed to add hydration. Using a mist on my hair after I get out of the shower has now become a regular part of my hair care routine, and I’ve noticed a big difference in the health of my hair!