All Brunettes Should Start Using Blue Shampoo Immediately!
Blue Shampoo is shampoo containing blue or violet pigment. It is designed for brunettes to help neutralise any ginger or orange tones in the hair. It does this by leaving blue pigment on the hair making brown hair look a brighter and cooler shade. In the colour wheel blue is opposite to orange and therefore has the ability to neutralise brassy colours. It acts as a colour correcting toner for the hair. Blue shampoo works on brown hair the same way purple shampoo works on blonde hair. Purple is opposite yellow in the colour wheel so purple shampoo removes any warm yellow or orange tones from blonde hair. Both purple and blue shampoo work well on grey or white hair to keep it cool and bright.
In this post I have found the best blue shampoo available in the UK for brunettes. It can be used either by women who dye their hair, or on natural hair to soften any unwanted shades of orange or red. If you have dyed your hair however you should wait at least 72 hours before you start using blue shampoo.
1. PRO:VOKE Illuminex Touch of Brunette Blue Toning Shampoo
In my opinion this is the best blue shampoo available in the UK. It is available on Amazon and usually comes in a pack along with the blue conditioner. It is SLS and sulphate free and contains UV filters. This product is perfect for brown, balayage or ombre hair, and can also be used on blondes. It is a deep sapphire colour and removes orange, brassy tones from the hair. You hair is left a deeper, richer brunette colour. The product is enriched with Aquaplex which contains castor oil. This nourishes the hair and provides hydration leaving it looking healthy, shiny and hydrated. The toning effect is enhanced with every wash as the shampoo deposits more pigment onto the hair. In time, all orange and red brassy tones are neutralised and the hair looks glossy and smooth. This is one of the best toners to take out brassy orange.
To use, wet the hair and leave for 3-5 minutes before washing out. Use either once a week or every other wash. Another reason why I love this particular blue shampoo is that it also perfumes your hair.
2. Joico Color Balance Blue Shampoo
The Joico Color Balance Blue Shampoo colour corrects any overly warm, orange or brassy tones in ombre hair or naturally dark brown hair. You will get smooth glistening hair with cool undertones.
3. Fanola Official No Orange Shampoo
The Fanola blue shampoo is suitable for hair which has orange tinges. It neutralises any copper or red reflections and leaves the hair hydrated and shiny. On Amazon this product has over 5,000 five star ratings and is one of the best blue shampoos for brassy hair in the UK.
4. REDKEN Color Extend Brownlights Blue Toning Shampoo
This sulphate free blue shampoo removes warm tones and neutralises brass. It is perfect for natural or highlighted brunettes. After wetting the hair leave on for 3-5 minutes.
5. Fudge Professional Blue Toning Shampoo
If you are on a budget, this is the most affordable blue shampoo I could find. It is however in a travel size 50ml bottle. The product is sulphate free and suitable for vegans. It removes orange and red tones from brunette hair and at the same time makes hair stronger and smoother. This blue shampoo also perfumes the hair.
6. Matrix Total Results Brass Off SHAMPOO
This shampoo works on brunette, blonde or red hair. It neutralises brassy tones and is good for brunettes who lighten their hair. This blue shampoo should be left on for 2-3 minutes to deposit the blue-violet pigment onto the hair. Copper and golden shades will be reduced and the hair will be left strong and moisturised.
Current Best Selling Blue Shampoos on Amazon
- No orange Shampoo is suitable for coloured hair with orange tinges and dark shades
- It gently cleanses and neutralises undesired Copper/red reflections, leaving the hair more shiny and hydrated
- This shampoo is best used as a pre-toner in the basin before applying toner
- Gently cleanses and neutralizes undesired copper/red reflections
- Leaves hair shiny and hydrated
- Suitable for coloured hair with dark shades
- Blue toning shampoo and conditioner from PRO:VOKE
- The blue pigment helps to neutralise red and orange tones (because blue is on the opposite side of the colour wheel) creating a deeper, bolder beautiful brunette colour. This is a great product to help restore your freshly coloured brunette look and hide those warmer red and orange tones which can creep through when hair dye fades.
- The blue pigment also works wonders on Balayage, Ombre and warm blondes because the blue pigment neutralises warmer tones in blonder hair too. So this means your brunette hair will appear deeper and your blonder hair will appear brighter.
- Suitable for natural and dyed brunette hair, as well as balayage, ombre and dark blonde hair colours
- Deep nourishment for damaged hair, leaving it feeling beautifully soft, healthy and hydrated from root to tip
Last update on 2021-01-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Articles Related to Blue Shampoo
- Blue shampoo – what is it, and how does it help brown hair?
- Who Should Use Blue Shampoo?
- Why Brunettes Should Start Using Blue Shampoo Immediately
Other Posts Related to Shampoo
FAQs on Blue Shampoo
What does blue shampoo do to blonde hair?
Blue shampoo can be used on blonde hair however there is a risk that it will make blonde hair green. To achieve an icy-hue, blondes should use purple shampoo.
What does blue shampoo do to brown hair?
Blue shampoo deposits blue pigment onto brown hair leaving it looking cooler and fresher. Any brassy orange or copper tones will be reduced
Which blue shampoo is best?
The PRO:VOKE Illuminex Touch of Brunette Blue Toning Shampoo is the best to take out brassy orange.
What happens if you leave blue shampoo on too long?
It may dry your hair out if you leave it too long, but it won’t dye your hands or scalp blue.
Can you use blue shampoo on natural hair?
Yes. Blue shampoo is usually recommended for colour treated hair, however natural brunettes can also benefit from it. Natural brunettes often find their hair turns a brassy tone due to sunlight. Blue shampoo is perfect to correct this.
Will blue shampoo darken my highlights?
Yes it’s possible if you use the shampoo too frequently or use too much it may turn your hair darker. Shampooing your hair once a week with blue shampoo should be enough.